CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 3, 2008

Fridays Readers Story

Tranquilium (anonymous) said...

Dear Abbey,

I am currently sixteen, nearly seventeen. Up until somewhat recently, I'd been self-harming in various different ways since I was seven years old. It started out as bruising, slamming my arms in drawers, punching myself, etc. ("banging" as it's most commonly referred to. or, more specifically, "wrist-banging." That began due to loss of family members, and bulling in school. I remember thinking that "there must be something wrong with me, nobody wants to be around me." I was trying to fix myself through beating myself up. That went on for awhile.

When I was eleven, I began cutting, as my depression worsened and there were many more deaths and painful events happening in my life as well. Then, two weeks after my thirteenth birthday - my older sister died. I blamed myself for a very long time.

Later on, the same year (I was thirteen) I began burning myself. with lighters, cigarettes, whatever I could get a hold of. (salt and ice was always a favorite of mine as well)

Things just escalated from there. I attempted suicide 8 times before being hospitalized. then 9 times before I was finally sent to a long term psychiatric hospital for six months. That was May of '07 through November of '07.

The time at that hospital (Havenwyck RTC) was a HUGE turning point in my life. I've made an amazing recovery, and while I'm still dealing with severe anxiety, my depression is under control, as are my other issues that aren't entirely related to this specific topic.

If you or anybody, want any details or information on stopping self-harm, getting help, or just.. needing any advice. Anyone can email me at tranquilium@live.com
Or you can go to my website and leave me a message - I'll get back to you. :)


~ You're truely,
Tranquilium

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tranquilium

Thanks for your comment. So glad that your turning it around and doing so well in recovery. I havnt heard of Havenwyck but it sounds like they are doing well by you. The thing to remember is to take it slow and work at your pace. Big Congrats.

Your post highlights the progression of harm that is often associated with SI. The sooner one can get assistance (doesnt that sound easy, its often the hardest thing we will ever do) but if one can than you can stop the cycle (which we highlighted in other posts) Thanks mate for sharing with such honesty.

I'll drop by your site and say hello..& again thanks for your story it all helps others...x