CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bill Of Rights For People Who Self Harm

Preamble
An estimated one percent of Americans use physical self-harm as a way of coping with stress; the rate of self-injury in other industrial nations is probably similar. Still, self-injury remains a taboo subject, a behavior that is considered freakish or outlandish and is highly stigmatized by medical professionals and the lay public alike.

Self-harm, also called self-injury, self-inflicted violence, or self-mutilation, can be defined as self-inflicted physical harm severe enough to cause tissue damage or leave visible marks that do not fade within a few hours. Acts done for purposes of suicide or for ritual, sexual, or ornamentation purposes are not considered self-injury. This document refers to what is commonly known as moderate or superficial self-injury, particularly repetitive SI; these guidelines do not hold for cases of major self-mutilation (i.e., castration, eye enucleation, or amputation).

Because of the stigma and lack of readily available information about self-harm, people who resort to this method of coping often receive treatment from physicians (particularly in emergency rooms) and mental-health professionals that can actually make their lives worse instead of better. Based on hundreds of negative experiences reported by people who self-harm, the following Bill of Rights is an attempt to provide information to medical and mental-health personnel. The goal of this project is to enable them to more clearly understand the emotions that underlie self-injury and to respond to self-injurious behavior in a way that protects the patient as well as the practitioner.

The Bill of Rights for Those who Self-Harm
  • The right to caring, humane medical treatment.
  • The right to participate fully in decisions about emergency psychiatric treatment (so long as no one's life is in immediate danger).
  • The right to body privacy.
  • The right to have the feelings behind the SI validated.
  • The right to disclose to whom they choose only what they choose.
  • The right to choose what coping mechanisms they will use.
  • The right to have care providers who do not allow their feelings about SI to distort the therapy.
  • The right to have the role SI has played as a coping mechanism validated.
  • The right not to be automatically considered a dangerous person simply because of self-inflicted injury.
  • The right to have self-injury regarded as an attempt to communicate, not manipulate.

Bill Of Rights For People Who Self Harm

[Full Document]

© 1998-2001 Deb Martinson. Reprint permission granted with proper credit to author.
Image: Octupus Dancing by *Widyantara

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a big fan of Bills of Rights - so important to know exactly where you stand and what options are available.

Great post :-)

Anonymous said...

Ta chick, we take for granted healthcare. So many Dr's etc bring their own judgements and predjuices to A&E with regard to SH... In my own job have I heard, 'Its a scratch' 'It's manipulation' ...

One staff member just said, 'You must be hurting little Chick' and that was awesome...simple but said with compassion it meant alot to the woman.

Clueless said...

For the most part, I've been blessed with good care and understanding. But, I really like your Bill of Rights. Could I use it on my blog? Of course, I would provide a link in the post to your blog?

Anonymous said...

Of course you can Clueless but its not mine its Deb Martinson, the link I provided fleshes these points 10 points out....

I have a similar one used by the NHS which im going to post next week... :)

....Ive been meaning to drop back to yours, I did the word thingy you had posted and I can't get it to work...

Anais Nin said...

I love this. I found your blog through Beautiful Dreamer's blog. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my blog roll. I think your site is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anais, I also love B.Dreamers blog. Of course I dont mind if you add me, the more the merrier ... :) Im glad you got something from my place, makes my heart warm...

Unknown said...

This is a very important piece of information that I wish health care systems around the world would use instead of the guilt trip that seems to be the first choice at least around here.

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to that Untreatable... I see it alot, common is 'Its attention seeking or manipulation' ... the only thing we can do is raise awareness I guess...