CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Negative Self Talk - Become Aware

This is the second part of Negative Self Talk (the first is here). Where we looked at what it is ... basically that little voice inside us that runs us down.

There are many ways to free ourselves from negative self-talk. For some, the best step may be to work with a good therapist or counselor. Others may just need to pay attention to the negative self-talk and use some of the suggestions provided here. Support groups (in person or online) may also be beneficial.

STEP ONE: Become aware of it.
Start paying attention how you talk to yourself and how your present yourself to others.
  • Do you belittle yourself?

  • Are you critical of your body, mind, skills or abilities?

  • Do you speak negatively about yourself to others?

  • Do you say unkind things about yourself before someone else can beat you to it?

  • Do you stop yourself from doing or trying things you want to do because you think you won't be good at it, might fail, or embarrass yourself?

  • Do you stop yourself from trying things because there's always someone who's better than you?

  • Listen to the negative things you tell yourself, and start to question their validity.
Don't stress about doing something about it. This is about just becoming aware, tuning in to what your saying, catching yourself out. When I first attempted this I would wear a rubberband and 'ping' myself for each negative thought, ... I sure started listening to myself then ... lol, Write them down if that helps. I didn't find it easy at first.

And does your little thought sneak out and get a voice? If someone pays you a compliment or says you are good at something do you react in the negative? perhaps say 'Oh no anyone can do that' or if they say your top/jeans/etc look good on you do you say something like 'Oh this old thing' or it 'makes my butt big' .STOP, (smile) it took me a long time to just say 'Thank you' ... It took me a long time to be comfortable with that, but thats all you need to say. nothing more, nothing less ...

So work this week on becoming aware & next week we'll look at where these little voices, thoughts and negativity are coming from. If you feel open enough to let me know what you catch yourself saying I'd love to hear. I'll be keeping an eye on myself too ...
[partly taken from here]

0 comments: