CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Resilience & Strength

I read alot of blogs, papers, publications and its easy to be overwhelmed by others story's & traumas. I have been trying to think of positives of my own situation, it would be easy for me to slip back into the black spiral of negativity. I think, with some time up, I can look back at the character traits I have and see positives. Strength has always been my mantra but the one I want to focus on is
Dictionary:
resilience (rĭ-zĭl'yəns)
n.
The ability to recover quickly from illness, change, or misfortune; buoyancy.
The property of a material that enables it to resume its original shape or position after being bent, stretched, or compressed; elasticity.

Now in 1990, they coined the phrase

Psychological resilience as a term used in psychology to describe the capacity of people to cope with stress and catastrophe. It is also used to indicate a characteristic of resistance to future negative events. This psychological meaning of resilience is often contrasted with "risk factors".

This may seem like the last attribute one would have with my background, I'm hardly superwoman but having lived it, lived through it, and grown stronger I think I'm like cracked china, each little repair making me stronger and able to face what lies ahead. Each new strategy I've learnt is like superglue holding that tea cup together, till I'm stronger than the original would ever have been. I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but without my life history I would not have the insight into myself, have the resilience & strength I now do. It makes sense to me ... :)

I guess that what I'm trying to say, is while you are caught in the spiral, secrecy, shame, guilt or one of the many negative feelings, thoughts or words. Lets face it, it feels like shit! In there though you have an untold, often unrecognised resilience. To cope by cutting, SHing takes an inner strength, if you can tune into that energy and recognise it, you have a resilience of your own that hopefully will shine.

4 comments:

Alison said...

It makes sense to me :)
I love the cracked china metaphor. It is true that each repair makes us stronger. I also think it helps to recognise that we do not have to be defined by just one experience. We are a whole cup, not just on piece or just one crack. It is OK to hurt, and it is OK to heal because the rest of the cup will still be there to support us.

Anonymous said...

Smile, glad it makes sense Alison, was starting to think I was wacky..lol

I love your last sentence, it is ok to hurt and heal... and my cup will never be perfect, but it will be damn well unique...:)

Anais Nin said...

It makes sense to me, too. I feel the same way sort of. I don't know if I'm stronger than I was; I just know that I lived through some bad things and I'm still cracked in places. It's weird how for some people (myself included) that bad things have to happen before good things can be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I only feel stronger, in reflection...the more hurdles I now face the more competent and believing in my abilities I become Anais...

I so relate to your last sentence...i do appreciate the good and often little things I now have...