CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday Reader's Story ...

Anonymous said...


I am a 29 year old male. A cutter since 13 Years old. The thought that this is a girls problem is false. One aspect of cutters is that they hide it. Boys and men more often will hide this sometimes for life, the reason is shame based. I am trying to stop at this point. This is a real problem for compulsive people like myself. The last time I cut mixed with extreme emotion and alcohol I woke up with 60 stitches in the psych ward. Thanks for the time ...

[Written: November 22, 2007]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abbey said...
Hi Anonymous, I understand all you are saying, and as I said to others, it is not a gender thing.

Please try not to feel shame, it is a coping mechanism you learnt as a child, I understand why you would as so many do not understand the 'why's'.... and it is hard to change something which as you say is 'compulsive' and becomes a part of your nature.

To wake with 60 stitches in a psychward can be a scary thing, did they give you a counsellor or someone to help in the long term. It can seem impossible but you can come through this with support...

take care Anonnymous and get back to me if you like...love Abbey

[November 22, 2007 11:00]

Unknown said...

Ditto to everything that Abbey just said.

It is a sad reflection on the world that so many of the "big secrets" lead to cutting which then becomes it's own "big secret". It isn't a solution but I am sure that just to be able to reach out to others to tell them our story - without being judged - would take away so much of the power a "big secret" can weild over us.

Anonymous said...

Compared with 20yrs ago we know so much more MG, not just those affected but the medical profession as well. However it also leaves SH open to stereotyping and myths. And even in knowing I think people bring their own fears and predujices. It is still very much someone elses problem.